Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

September

Well the cool weather has finally arrived.  The heat of August has been unbearable and draining, I don't quite know how anything manages to stand the obscene temperatures but thankfully plenty of things seem to thrive in this environment.  My veg patch at our guest house is coming into fruit now, and I've been able to harvest courgettes and runner beans on an almost daily basis.  I have plenty of green chillies in the freezer, what's left on the plants will ripen to red before joining them.  The tomatoes are a plenty, although sadly every time one ripens I am beaten to it by rats. We've put some traps down which have caught a couple but I have a cunning plan B, we are borrowing a couple of cats.  Bro & Dude's family are off travelling for a couple of months so we've offered to look after them, they're good ratters apparently.  They better had be!  The aubergines and peppers are yet to fruit but both have plenty of flowers so it shouldn't be long now.

In the next week I'll be building a couple of raised beds and planting some over wintering veg that I'll buy as plug plants from the local co-operativa, broccoli, cauliflower, onions and cabbage probably.  I've also brought some broad bean and mange tout seeds which if I get them in soon should be ready to harvest in November.

The rooftop terrace is still flourishing. The heady scent of Jasmine by day and Lady of the Night in the evening still make a lovely place to sit out.  The hibiscus plants are still producing plenty of flowers and these little beauties that I planted just 6 weeks ago have surprised me by suddenly making an appearance.  Sunflowers always make me smile, and these miniatures are no exception, even if t'husbands think they are children's flowers.

Miniature Sunflowers

The cut and come again lettuce leaves have been a great success, the mixed Chinese leaves less so. The spring onions are coming on nicely but my radishes failed again.  I have harvested all bar one basil plant which I chopped up and frozen.  I've probably left the mint a bit too late as the leaves are looking a bit raggedy since it came into flower, still it's a massive plant so I should get plenty off it to put in the freezer.  Several batches of coriander have been planted for our continuous use over the winter.  The lime tree is sporting over 50 baby limes and the lemon tree has lots of new foliage on it which smells divine.

Just a few of the baby Limes

All in all not a bad year for our first year as Mediterranean gardeners.  Hopefully next summer will be even better.

3 comments:

  1. wow that all sounds fab, I can't grow anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting to hear how you're growing different plants in the hot climate. Would love a lime tree but in the north of England I don't think there's much chance of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never get radishes to last through the heat, they just go to seed. Good luck with the ratters!

    ReplyDelete